How to achieve a combined calendar view

🆓 If you are running a board that is using events, in any way what so ever, this the extension for you. This extension provides all you will need for a successful events forum. Let your users become hosts and organise their very own events.

DAE avatar
Leftie
Novice
Novice

Post by Leftie »

We have several different types of events, which I would like the option of viewing in a single, unified calendar view.

As far as I understand it, you can only create event types corresponding to the forums for which you’ve enabled the Date Topic Event Calendar extension. E.g. forums “A”, “B” and “C” lets me create event types “A”, “B” and “C”. Once those are set up, I am free to create any type of event in either of those forums. That is, you can create a thread in forum “B” of event type “A”, “B” or “C”.

However, you cannot view the events located in one forum, from within another forum. I.e. looking in forum “A”, you would not see the event of type “A”, which is posted in forum “B”.

So, if I want people to be able to see and filter through all of our events, I have to make sure they all get posted to the same forum (e.g. “B”), regardless of event type. I believe we can achieve this by creating the “A”, “B” and “C” forums, enabling DTEC for them and then hiding “A” and “C” from being viewed.

This just seems very cumbersome to me. I don’t know if this was within the original use case for this extension, but is there any more straightforward way of doing this? E.g. a simpler way of adding event types.

3Di
Founder
Founder

Post by 3Di »

Well, all this is by design. The client who is also a donor here and donated all this to you all wanted it that way. But I’m not entirely sure I understand your point here, maybe I can help you but I need some sort of alternative approach to better understand what you want to achieve. :)

🇪🇺 Honour and respect to all the Healthcare Heroes. 🇮🇹

DAE avatar
Leftie
Novice
Novice

Post by Leftie »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I understand that the client got what they wanted and I appreciate being able to reuse the extension.

I guess what I’m asking is two-fold:

1. Is there another way of managing event types? (E.g. similar to how you can input locations.)

2. Is there a way to actually list all calendar events in one big overview, without having to put every event in one single forum? E.g. are there other extensions that could display this data?

I suspect the answer to both of these questions is “no”, but I just wanted to make sure I understood things correctly.

3Di
Founder
Founder

Post by 3Di »

Yeah, no to both questions. :|

You can use the sidebar filters to investigate more than one event type at once though.

Your questions are good, just they need a “bit” of coding to add to the extension,
even better …. those should / could be add-ons. :geek:

🇪🇺 Honour and respect to all the Healthcare Heroes. 🇮🇹